About me...
My name is Jonas Lawrence Cockson. I am a student of the College of Education at the University of South Alabama (both the main campus in Mobile and the Baldwin County campus). My declared major is in Secondary English Education. Once I have received my bachelor's degree from the University of South Alabama, I plan to attend the University of Southern Mississippi ( in Hattiesburg, Miss.) to work toward a master's degree in TESOL (teaching English as a second language). My ultimate goal is to teach the English to students residing in a Third World nation -- such as Africa. I feel that the need for global education far surpasses the desire to teach within one's homeland. I also feel that by teaching in a Third World country, I will have the ability to expose and immerse myself in cultures other than my own -- thereby giving me the ability to see and convey information, ideas, and practices from a different perspective, rather than a singular one (especially to students from a different cultural background than my own). With this in mind, I feel that the profession I have chosen for myself is a perfect fit for my abilities and motivations.

Bringing Cultures Together Through Education and Technology

By using education in conjunction with technology, teachers and educators (as well as students) will not only strengthen their knowledge of customs and practices of other cultures, they will be learning to incorporate and and apply lessons and skills - such as interpersonal communication, web-based proficiency, and alternatives to "burp-back" education. Lessons such as these are key components in learning to not only embrace the idea of a future where success is measured by the proficiency one demonstrates concerning the use and understanding of technology, but to accept the idea as reality.

Because of its global significance and implementation (especially in terms of global business and trade), technology is becoming the emphasis throughout all forms of education. Years from now, future teachers and students world-wide will be expected to know how to integrate, implement, and apply technology into their instructional and educational well being. Much like the textbooks and calculators of yesterday and today ( both of which helped to define an era, as well as became educational fixtures - in terms of curriculum tools), the interwoven institutionalization of education and technology will become the new milestone by which standards are met. It is up to teachers and educators worldwide to see this phoenix as not just a way to improve education-based lessons and applications (in which information and knowledge are conveyed) - but also as a way to improve our understanding of each other globally.