About me...
My name is Jonas Lawrence Cockson. I am a student of the College of Education at the University of South Alabama (both the main campus in Mobile and the Baldwin County campus). My declared major is in Secondary English Education. Once I have received my bachelor's degree from the University of South Alabama, I plan to attend the University of Southern Mississippi ( in Hattiesburg, Miss.) to work toward a master's degree in TESOL (teaching English as a second language). My ultimate goal is to teach the English to students residing in a Third World nation -- such as Africa. I feel that the need for global education far surpasses the desire to teach within one's homeland. I also feel that by teaching in a Third World country, I will have the ability to expose and immerse myself in cultures other than my own -- thereby giving me the ability to see and convey information, ideas, and practices from a different perspective, rather than a singular one (especially to students from a different cultural background than my own). With this in mind, I feel that the profession I have chosen for myself is a perfect fit for my abilities and motivations.

The Importance of Education and Technology-Based Applications in Teaching and Learning

By using such education and technology based applications as blogs and podcasts, teachers and students around the globe can both demonstrate and communicate new ideas and practices to one another.

Classroom blogs not only let students' parents peer into the classroom environment, they also let students and educators from anywhere in the world discover and experience principles, practices, and ways of life that are different than their own. This not only allows teachers and students the opportunity to observe posts and activities of international students (as well as those of their home country), it gives them the ability to acquire a world view/knowledge without having to leave the classroom. As a future teacher, I also see educational blogging as not only a bridge between education and technology, I see it as a bridge between nations - especially in terms of maintaining the quest for educational diversity and peaceful relations.

Podcasts allow students and educators to access all forms of web-based media, such as video documentaries, audio documentaries, and various educational workshops and seminars. In the past, such information would be much harder to come by. Thanks to the vast and continuous improvements in technology throughout the past decades, audio and visual sounds and images can be available to everyone at just about any location in the world. This reality can not only give a teacher and student access to a plethora of valuable knowledge and information, it can give them the ability to learn and apply learned lessons outside of the classroom environment.

Both of these technologies are more than mere technological improvements;they are foundations of an educational unity connecting teachers and students throughout the world. In this way, they are essential toward the success of global peace and prosperity.